In the late 1800’s, when the town of Tin Cup was mining gold and silver, supplies were purchased from Gunnison and transported by pack mules. Because the trip took two days and Elmer’s Ranch, now known as Harmels, was the halfway point, it was logical that the small store was the overnight stop and the room above the store was used for sleeping.
Around the early 1920’s, Elmer’s Ranch homestead was divided in half to become Elsinore Cattle Co. and Elmer’s Ranch. Because of the beautiful location of the store, cabins #2 through #19 were added along the Taylor River. Elmer’s operated the ranch for many years and sold it in the mid-1940’s to Ramsey, who modernized a few cabins by adding indoor plumbing. Ramsey sold the ranch two to three years later and it was again sold in 1958 to Bud Harmel.
In 1963, Bud’s daughter and her family moved from Calgary, Alberta to help run the ranch. The Roberts family ran the ranch for nearly 20 years. Steve, the youngest son of Bud’s daughter, took over managing the ranch in 1979. He continued the Harmels family ranch until 2021 when he sold it to the Reynolds family. The Reynolds are committed to restoring Harmels on the Taylor to it’s former glory and are ready to welcome guests into the family.